The Science of Happiness Course:
Theory & Practice
Transform Your Habits
Uplift Your Mood
Change Your Life
Introductory Course Curriculum
Introduction to the Science of Happiness and Positive Psychology
Next Step: Proficiency Certificate Course
Learn about leading theories and applications of Positive Psychology on personal happiness and well-being, by pioneers Martin Seligman and Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.
The Science of Happiness
The Science of Happiness is accelerating. Explore the practical “habits of happy people” through new discoveries in the social and natural sciences.
Learn about remarkable new discoveries in the Science of Well-being including "food for mood," the power of goal-setting, and finding meaning.
What People Are Saying
Pursuit-of-Happiness.org is a volunteer-driven 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of well-being and depression prevention through education and peer support.
Recent scientific studies show that specific life skills can prevent depression, enhance well-being, and even slow down neurodegeneration. Pursuit-of-Happiness offers online courses on the new and rapidly unfolding Science of Happiness based on scientific research.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the intro course take to complete?
As long as you like. Each of the three videos lasts about 10 minutes. The Introductory and Proficiency Courses are completely self-paced.
What's so special about this course?
- Firstly, instead of following a particular school of thought, our educational programs follow the Science of Happiness as it unfolds. For example, major systematic reviews published from 2021-2 indicate that:
- Regular, mixed physical exercise generates large quantities of the brain growth hormone BDNF, which protects against both depression and neurodegeneration.
- Walking through rural or urban forested areas, for only 15 mins, alleviates both depression and anxiety.
- Some fermented foods contain probiotic bacteria, called “psychobiotics,” that can relieve depression.
- Secondly, our material is drawn from the natural sciences (including “food and mood,” sleeping habits, exercise, etc) as well as modern psychology, including Positive Psychology (positive emotions, signature strengths, etc).
- Finally, through step-by-step outlines and practical exercises, we show how these new discoveries can be applied to daily life and exert a powerful impact on mood.
How can I benefit from this course?
- 76% of students who practice only one of the “habits of happy people” described in the course, report feeling happier.
- About 50% of our students take the Proficiency Course to improve their personal wellbeing and find relief from depression.
- About 25% of our students are mental health professionals, including counselors, psychologists, nurses, and life coaches, seeking online training, including peer support training, on wellbeing and depression prevention.
- The provision of curricula and courses on mental health in schools is a top priority. About 25% of our students are K-12 and university educators.